Back to my homepage
Please feel free to enjoy these facts about me!
- I'm ? old.
- I've been happily married to Alicia Torres Hoza for ?.
- We have one wonderful daughter 🙂 (We had two other kids, but tragically they died before birth.)
- I have two sisters, two brothers, two brothers-in-law, and two sisters-in-law.
- I'm about 5' 5" tall, much like the average man in North Korea or the average woman in Sweden.
- I have Celiac disease.
- I like pineapple on pizza, and I like the Star Wars prequel trilogy, but I don't like chocolate.
- I enjoy computer programming as a casual hobby.
Here are some of my views, in case you're curious (or looking for something to disagree with me about).
⚠️Whether you lean "left", "right", or some other direction, you are probably going to disagree with me about some of this stuff. I hope we can still be friends! Please trust that I want us all to thrive. I'm sure there are some things I'm wrong about.
- I favor making it very easy to legally immigrate to the U.S. I want the border between the U.S. and Mexico to be similar to the border between Texas and New Mexico. I don't think any special excuse or reason should be required to become a U.S. citizen.
- I support a ban on the destruction of human embryos in laboratories, e.g. in the context of stem cell research or in vitro fertilization. I think we all have dignity and value that doesn't depend on the circumstances of our conception, and I respect persons conceived in vitro as equals, whether they are embryos or adults.
- I support serious government interventions to mitigate and prevent climate change. I'm in favor of taxing carbon emissions from fossil fuels and rapidly increasing the taxation rate to phase out fossil fuels entirely. I'm not talking about a blanket carbon tax; I think a different system would be more appropriate for regulating carbon emissions from non-fossil-fuel sources such as livestock and biofuels.
- I support a ban on abortion. I think we should use nonviolent methods to support pregnant women. I support government-funded pregnancy centers, and I think the government should ensure that all employed new mothers have access to paid maternity leave. (Here's a relevant blog post. See also: What's My Pro-Life Line?)
- I favor abolishing capital punishment. I also think the prison system is greatly overused. People who commit crimes should face consequences, but years of imprisonment is extreme.
- I support a ban on physician-assisted suicide and all forms of euthanasia.
- I favor giving every citizen the right to vote, regardless of age or criminal history. Yes, I'm serious, regardless of age. (Here's a relevant Vox article.)
- I favor making adultery illegal, at least in cases where the non-participating spouse disapproves. I also favor making it more difficult to get a divorce. For example, I don't think it should be possible to get a divorce if your spouse wants to remain married and hasn't done anything wrong. I think marriage is more than a contract; I think the law currently treats it as less than a contract.
- I support extensive government programs to support poor and vulnerable folks.
- I'm in favor of abolishing civil same-sex marriage. I don't think there is anything shameful about being gay or lesbian or bisexual. I think sexual minorities are among those most harmed by same-sex marriage. I support legislation that protects sexual minorities from unjust discrimination and harrassment. My views tend to align with those on "side B" or "side Y".
- I oppose torture. More generally, I oppose almost all violent actions performed by the U.S. military. I am grateful for the service of those members of the military who honorably and ethically defend the country.
- I support constitutional originalism. I think it's good to maintain a clear distinction between what the rules are and what the rules should be. I think the legitimate way to change the Constitution is to use the amendment process described in Article V of the Constitution itself.
- I favor repealing the second amendment.
- I support serious free speech protections at public universities. I think that in most cases, the best response to objectionable speech is respectful dialogue and persuasive counterspeech rather than punishment, censorship, or ostracization.
- I oppose efforts by the NSA to weaken widely-used cryptographic software.